1850s - 1990's
The area was settled in the early 1850's and Independent School was one of the original schools in the district.
In about 1918 the Seehafer Family donated land for the current school building. In 1952 the school closed and pupils were moved to Inavale school. In the late 1950s the building and land were deeded to the Independent Community Club by the Seehafer Family. From 1958 to the early 1970's there was an active community club. Since then
the building has been rented out as a preschool, 2 churches, and the Oregon Tilth office. Oregon Tilth move out in 1993 and since that time the ICC has been reactivated.
The Independent Community Club (ICC) has operated as a nonprofit community center since the Independent School closed (1952). The ICC board and members are committed to keeping the ICC a focal point of our community, with the sole purpose of bringing the community together for the benefit of all.
Oregon Parks and Recreation Department June 26, 2013
Independent School, Benton County, Philomath, Listed May 28, 2013
The Independent School in Philomath, Oregon is among Oregon’s latest entries in the National Register of Historic Places.
The Independent School, originally a one-room school house, is located three miles south of Philomath. It is significant for the role it played in the educational development of members of this rural Benton County community from 1919 to 1952. The land for the school was donated in 1918 by Ernest and Anna Seehafer and the school was constructed in 1919 by Fred H. Seedenburg for then School District No. 19. The one-story, wood-frame building shares characteristics with a Craftsman bungalow residence, including front-facing gables, knee brackets, and a broad front porch. An addition was constructed in the early 1950s, which made the property more usable by the community. The school house continues to play an important role in the community today, serving as the Independent Community Club.
February 14, 2013
The Independent School has received official APPROVAL by the State Advisory Committee on Historic Preservation for listing on the
National Register of Historic Places!
All thanks to Kenny Gunn, Grad Student at the University of Oregon's Historic Preservation Program, his work and diligence was remarked upon positively by all of the members of the State Advisory Committee!
Well done Kenny! Thank you & good job!